Saturday, February 7, 2009

Is BLACK the NEW BLACK?

The more I observe, the more I'm convinced that we truly are a curious nation of followers. A few months ago, I wrote about America’s brand, asking the question what does “Brand America” look and feel like? Beyond the American flag, apple pie, spacious skies and purple mountains majesty, I asked if we’ve made lasting changes to our views and perceptions about race in our country – did we wake up on November 5th to a new icon that says we feel differently about each other?

Well, I dunno if we’ve made lasting changes; tremendous strides? Yes. Lasting changes? I’m not so sure. But I can say that what I’m witnessing now borders on the ridiculous, and is very typical of the American way. And that is to be ‘Fashionably Black’. Not a reverse discrimination per se, but suddenly, it is very trendy to have Blacks in leadership, on our boards, committees, and running our companies. Black is the New Black!

Now before you judge my views as bias (Good Lawd, I can hear the NAACP calling for my card). I am an African-American woman who proudly voted for President Obama, who supports Black initiatives along with select Black organizations. I believe in diversity, fairness and equal opportunity. But I question the sincerity of any organization that has had no history of African-American inclusion suddenly wanting to engage Blacks in leadership. And not necessarily because the person is the best at what they do or the most qualified (although they could be), or because it demonstrates a company’s earnest desire for diversity. No, many businesses are just following a perceived trend. From the nomination of Michael Steele as the new Chairman of the RNC to Mike Paul, publicly demanding that the PR Society seat a Black member on its executive board, companies are scrambling to include more African-Americans in prominent positions. Yet there are countless numbers of companies that have no diversity whatsoever. Okay, so you’re thinking, so what’s the problem? Well for one, any company that would follow a “jump-on-the-band-wagon” trend is sure to disengage when the fad has passed. Second, ‘Fashionably Black’ rings disingenuous – did it take electing a Black man as the leader of the free world for us to realize there were no Black leaders in our companies? Did your company embrace diversity before November 4? How many African-Americans were a keynote speaker or spokesperson for your product, or invited to your party or a preferred vendor before the election and how many are you seeking out now?

But this brings up a more serious phenomenon in business, and that is our propensity to be followers rather than innovators, creators and real visionaries. One of the reasons President Obama was successful in his bid for the white house, was his audacity to do the outrageous, the unthinkable, to stand out, and then run the most unique political campaign in our nation’s history. The fact that he did all this is as a Black man was an added bonus of fortitude to the package. And don’t get me wrong, I don’t have a problem following some of today’s trends (why re-invent the wheel?) – I enjoy my iPod, text-messaging, Apple martinis and hair extensions. But I also recognize that trendy phrases like, “your call is very important to us,” “how may I direct your call?” “service first” are all very passé and meaningless idioms. We do it because someone else did it. That’s because growing this country, like growing your brand, requires a business to be innovative and a front-runner of the unthinkable – inventing a brand, new bar, not following the herd under the old one.

If we want true economic recovery we can’t get stuck at the top of this victory hill (none of us is allowed to rest on the coat tails of President Obama’s blackness). We must bravely go out and create something new, something cutting edge in our businesses, our marketing campaigns, our events and promotions. And if that means including more African-Americans in our organizations, that’s even better! But don’t follow what has been done (there is only one Barack); instead blaze a new trail, a new path. Be original. Be uniquely you. In fact, I encourage each of you to be so daring, so brash and brazen that it makes your insides churn with fear just thinking about what you’re planning to do. Because only then can you be a creator of the next big thing, the next impossible endeavor – which is the backbone of America’s ingenuity – it’s our brand! And by all means hire me to aid you in pushing new, creative boundaries – but not because I’m ‘Fashionably Black’, but because I share your company’s vision for setting a new bar!

No comments: